I Am Now Ancient

Today is my birthday. Hooray! In fact, today I am 40 years old, with very strong emphasis on the word ‘old’. Oddly, I don’t feel any more elderly or infirm than I did yesterday or, in fact, twenty years ago. I suspect I shall be saying much the same thing when I’m seventy.

9 thoughts on “I Am Now Ancient

1. Ron says:

Happy Birthday. I will soon be 40 too. I scares me to think that my father had a 22 year old when he was 40. Or that Lennon was shot dead at 40.

On the science in America post: If you haven’t read it, you should read Feyerabend’s Against Method. He recommends we teach witchcraft. His reasons are good.

2. Davo says:

Happy birthday from across the miles, Mr Jordan!

3. Jean-Yves says:

Happy birthday Nick. Have a good one! 🙂

4. Nick says:

Thanks very much, all of you.

5. alysha says:

Eee! Happy (belated) Birthday! May the next 40 years be absolutely marvellous! 🙂

6. Marie says:

Happy birthday Nick. Just out of interest, what would you say is your default age – the one you feel like you haven’t got any older since? Mine’s probably about 20 (I’m 29.)

7. Nick says:

My default age is probably around the same as yours – 20 or 21. It’s a good age to be, I think. Old enough not to be too stupid and young enough not to be too sensible.

8. janet says:

Actually the default age for most men is 3-1/2. You do get a few who only manage to reach 2-1/2 and they have a tendency to throw their toys out of the pram, but 3-1/2 is all right, because the ones who do manage to reach 6 have a tendency to be rather boring.
    This is no mere hypothesis. It is a proper theory, worked out from 64 years of empirical evidence.

9. justin says:

Hi Nick,
    Congratulations on making it to the big 40. I’ve clocked up 58 years, still feel inside that I’m 21, though a lot wiser, but externally I’m starting to look my years. Oh well, hope I’ve got another 40 to go.